Jump to Recipe
Of all cookies, oatmeal has to be my favourite. Now my easy spiced oat classic has been transformed into an even easier edible oatmeal cookie dough. Ready in less than 10 minutes for all your cookie dough snacking needs!
Ingredients for Edible Oatmeal Cookie Batter
- Butter - unsalted butter, softened at room temperature.
- Sugars - a mix of both superfine granulated (caster) sugar and light brown (muscovado) sugar firmly packed.
- Heat treated flour - to be safe for consumption uncooked, you need to heat treat your flour. This can be done by warming through in the oven or microwave. See my step by step instructions in my edible chocolate chip cookie dough cones recipe.
- Spices: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt.
- Milk - I like to use whole (full fat) milk in desserts, but you can also use semi skimmed (2%) or skimmed (1%). You may find that different milks result
- Oats - I like to use Quaker Old Fashioned or rolled oats, but any standard rolled oat will work in this recipe.
Making Edible Oatmeal Cookie Dough
This is a super simple one bowl recipe.
Just like with normal cookie doughs, begin by creaming the butter and sugars. Then add in your dry ingredients. This will form a fairly stiff, dry dough. In order to make this nice and silky smooth, add a couple of tablespoons of milk.
Once you have a nice smooth batter, it is time to add the oatmeal. Stir this through the spiced dough. Then, the beauty of edible doughs, no baking! Just feel free to dig straight in!
FAQs for Edible Oatmeal Cookie Dough
This edible oatmeal batter will last for a few days in the fridge. It is an easy make ahead treat - simply store covered in the refrigerator until needed. Take the dough out of the fridge about 15 minutes before serving and giving it a stir to soften it up for best batter consistency.
Absolutely, not only can you freeze the edible dough for future use, but you can incorporate it into frozen recipes, such as ice cream. Simply store in a freezer safe container. If planning to eat on its own as edible cookie dough, allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Yes, you can certainly include additions to this dough, such as butterscotch morsels to make edible oatmeal scotchie dough. Try chocolate chips or chopped nuts for other easy add-in textures.
Some other easy edible doughs to try:
Easy Edible Oatmeal Cookie Dough
- 10 tablespoon softened butter
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar (muscovado)
- ¼ cup superfine granulated sugar or caster sugar
- ¾ cup heat treated flour see note below
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Begin by creaming together the sugars and butter until smooth.
- Next add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to combine.
- Then add the milk and to a smooth batter.
- Finally, add the oats and stir to incorporate.